In the mid 1970’s, a young Powell River, BC accountant named Wayne Rourke (passed away July 2021) began working with a Fisher Stove dealer in his hometown. The time he spent there got him fascinated with the wood stove industry. He eventually purchased the company in 1977 and ran it from the basement of the city’s old post office. Fisher Stoves relocated to North Vancouver where it remained for several years. While in that location, Wayne hired Mike Harstone (retired Dec 2022) and Dan Kosovic (retired May 2020), who both stayed with the company for several decades. The company’s focus changed from being a manufacturer to one which centered around distribution and it was during this period that Fisher became Northwest Stoves.
After years of steady growth to the point where another move was necessary, the decision was made to move Northwest Stoves' centre of operations to a newer, more spacious building in Langley in 1994. Wayne continued to lead Northwest Stoves for more than 35 years since its inception, retired from the company, paving the way for current president David Rosvold to bring his energy and enthusiasm to Northwest Stoves. Like Wayne, David has an accounting background and developed a taste for the industry after first beginning his tenure in the company’s accounting area.
Continued growth had us relocating to a larger 30,000 square foot warehouse in Abbotsford back in 2016 and now there is a possibility of moving again to a larger facility in the next year or two.
Despite more than 40 years of business, Northwest Stoves’ focus has shifted slightly. While we still consider safe and responsible wood burning to be a viable, efficient and largely inexpensive heating alternative - a major reason wood burning products remain in demand throughout the region - gas burning appliances have shown tremendous growth as well.
Northwest Stoves has two primary sales areas. First, it is a leading distributor of fireplaces, stoves, heaters, accessories and maintenance supplies to authorized specialty retailers and specialized building supply dealers possessing territories across the West. Second, it distributes top quality gas, pellet and charcoal BBQ's, patio heaters, fire tables and firepits to specialty retail stores in Western Canada.
- Pacific Energy have been building wood and gas products in Duncan, BC for as long as Northwest Stoves has been in business. We distribute these stoves within BC (excluding Vancouver Island), the Yukon and Southern Alberta.
- RSF Energy are beautiful and efficient wood burning fireplaces built in Quebec. RSF is distributed in BC & the Yukon
- Marquis Collection by Kingsman contain collections of traditional and contemporary gas burning fireplaces, stoves and inserts manufactured in Winnipeg, Manitoba. We distribute these products throughout BC (excluding the Okanagan and Kootenays).
- Green Mountain Pellet Grills have brought cooking with pellets to the mainstream! Green Mountain Grills are the top-of-the-line, the best-of-the-best - but not the highest inprice. With retail stores across Western Canada, GMG offers premium grills at affordable prices, producing some of the best tasting food you can eat.
- Saber Gas Grills have a patented cooking system that brings the best flavour out of your food when you grill. An exciting line of gas grills that have something for everyone. Distributed throughout Western Canada.
There are many other products available from our wonderful suppliers, including Jotul, Caframo, Excel Chimney, Town & Country Luxury Fireplaces, Infratech Electric Patio Heaters, Infrared Dynamics Patio Heaters, Renaissance Fireplaces, Kozy Heat, ..the list goes on and on.
Northwest Stoves supports its dealers with extensive technical support, as well as co-op advertising and marketing support. Priority is made to ensure quick and accurate turnaround from the time an order is placed to the time it physically leaves the building via carrier.
Give us a call and we'll help you get started in your quest for a warm, comfortable home or the perfect outdoor living area!